Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Morning in the Kitchen with Aidan

I am obsessed with the Food Network. If my television is on, it is on one of two channels - Food Network or Bravo. And if my children are awake and hanging out, it's usually the Food Network, especially with my 4 1/5 year old. We LOVE to watch cooking shows together - it's kind of our thing.

The other day we were lounging while Ro Ro napped, watching the Barefoot Contessa master another delicious concoction when my son asked to make something, anything. He was so darn cute I couldn't say no. The only problem was I hadn't been to the store yet for the week so our options were slim.

BUT HAVE NO FEAR! That is what Pinterest is for! I jumped on really quick and searched my food boards for something I had all the ingredients for. Enter, the Glazed Doughnut Muffin. I found this recipe here: http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/05/glazed-doughnut-muffins/. One look from my son and we were off to the kitchen.

We tried to make it a learning experience as much as possible. We started by having Aidan count out 12 cupcake liners to fill the muffin tin.

Next, it was time to mix up the wet ingredients of the recipe. Aidan made a perfect heart with our measuring cups. He was so excited to get to use the mixer!
Once the wet ingredients and dry ingredients were mixed in separate bowls, it was time to incorporate them. Aidan added a half a cup at a time while I folded in the dry ingredients.
 Once everything was incorporated, it was time to fill the cupcake liners. We used a large table spoon to fill each one evenly. Or as evenly as we could anyway.
While the muffins baked, we discussed the frosting process. Aidan couldn't wrap his mind around the idea of a glaze so he told me how he wanted them decorated - with a smiley face. He even drew me a picture to make sure I understood.

Also while we were waiting, I thought it important to note his baking attire. He insisted that his hard hat (really made of soft foam material) from the circus was going to make him the best chef in the world. He wore it with pride and was truly the cutest little chef ever.

Once the muffins were done baking, they had to cool for a while before we could frost them. We waited impatiently.
While the muffins cooled, we made our sugar glaze! Aidan didn't believe me that the soft powdered sugar was actually sugar, until he tasted it. And continued to taste it...


Somebody else was waiting impatiently for a glazed doughnut muffin.
Once the muffins were cool, it was time to tip them in the sugary sweet glaze. We dipped them one time and let them harden. Aidan REALLY enjoyed the dipping action.

 Once the first dip was dry we dipped them again! Then it was time to eat them!!



In the words of the chef, they were "perfect".

Spending time in the kitchen with my son allows us an opportunity to do something we both enjoy while spending uninterrupted time together. Aidan is my gentle child - always thinking of others before himself. He's known in our family as the rule enforcer. I couldn't be more proud of the little man he's becoming. I look forward to many more meals together.

If you are interested in checking out the Glazed Doughnut Muffin recipe, again, go to http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/05/glazed-doughnut-muffins/.

No comments:

Post a Comment