Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Preschool Prep

Since I've been home, I've made it a priority to spend quality time on education with the kiddos. I was going to be taking Aidan out of his preschool so I felt it only appropriate that I make time in our day to work on Kindergarten prep! I focused on the same things he was learning in school - colors, shapes, letters, and numbers. He was pretty comfortable in the first two areas; however, letters and numbers we are still working on.

Over the summer, we did the majority of our learning in the field. As a family, we have a yearly membership to the local Children's Museum. We spent a lot of time there through the summer and found it very educational. So much so that I made a point to take Mikayla's Daisy troop there for a field trip. We also explored the library and local parks. 

Now that school has started again and  Mikayla is gone through the day, it's time for Aidan and I to begin our last year of Preschool together. At first I thought I shouldn't make a plan and let learning happen spontaneously. And then I thought it through. While spontaneity is imperative to a child's development, structure is equally important. We have a typical home structure I would imagine and I feel my children benefit from the expected. 

Structure is also important to keeping MOMMY on task, on schedule, and ACCOUNTABLE! It's easy to fall into the chore trap or the let's-just-play-all-day trap and forget about the goals we've set for ourselves. For me and my eldest son, it is important that we prepare for Kindergarten next Fall. So I spent the last month of summer break researching and tweaking a curriculum that mixed education and fun for the right combination of learning!

My goal as Aidan's mommy teacher is to make sure he learns all of his letters, upper and lowercase, as well as the many sounds they make. We will work on recognizing all numbers and counting to 100. We will work on pre-writing skills as well as name recognition and writing. We will also focus on more abstract ideas, such as what being a good member of the community looks like, learning basic cooking skills, animals, holidays, cultures, and independence.

WHEW! I'm feeling exhausted and overwhelmed just typing about it!

Again, hence the importance of a PLAN! My plan is still coming together and I have not completed everything yet, but we are more than halfway there. I still have our "classroom" (AKA the loft) to spruce up as well as a few things to complete for our circle time. But we are well on our way! Our plan is to start school when we return from our Disneyland trip, so our first day will be September 9th. 

If you have a little one at home and are looking to begin the prep for Kindergarten, there are so many resources available to you! I think the two best resources I've found are Pinterest (I have a HUGE Mommy School board if you're interested in checking it out!) and the library. There are so many FREE resources, I encourage you to check them out. You can follow my Mommy School board (and any other board you'd like) at http://pinterest.com/tiffanyclyne/mommy-school/

So here is what we have so far! Like I said, we aren't done yet and our classroom is still a work in progress, but our curriculum and supplies have all been completed!

I have a small white desk downstairs that I use for completing my own homework. (I am a crazy mom in a graduate counseling program). I put the printer on the floor beside the desk and used the space for a plastic three bin drawer and material we will use daily. 



I found the silver buckets with the chalk label in the dollar section at Target. I love them!

I found this book holder also in the dollar section at Target. I have several that I use to hold my magazine obsession, I mean collection. I use it to hold workbooks, my planner, as well as the dry erase lined paper boards we practice writing on. 




Inside the three drawer container I have items we will use every day. The middle drawer has everything! Flash cards, counting bears, card games, matching games, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom letters - all the manipulatives we will use in our every day lessons. 



I found these flashcards, again, in the dollar section at Target. I purchase a ton of items there as well as the Dollar Tree.

The bottom drawer is used for paper! Lined paper for writing (which we probably won't use but I have it just in case) and construction paper. Construction paper can be bought on the CHEAP at Walmart and Dollar Tree!

The top drawer is a bit of a catchall right now. Inside I have a small container which holds items we will use for crafting, like stickers, beads, buttons, EYEBALLS! 


One activity we are carrying over from  last year is the Daily Learning Notebook. This is a tool we use every single day! I purchased the Letter of the Week program from Confessions of a Homeschooler. The Pre-K Daily Learning Notebook is a part of this program. You can find it at http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/letter-of-the-week

One item inside the Daily Learning Notebook is the personal information sheet. It is a way to help your child learn his/her address, phone number, and emergency numbers. I have pictured a blank one here.

There is an activity sheet for each day of the week. I have laminated these sheets so that he can use a dry erase marker so we can use this daily as part of his learning!

Next is the name writing page. This is NOT laminated so that we can keep track of his name writing through our homeschool year.

There are also laminated pre-writing school pages. He traces the lines to practice his writing skills. 

Then comes the curriculum binder. OMG. This thing is HEAVY. But, it has a page for every single day of our upcoming year, so we will never run out of ideas. I also mapped out each month's activities, including books we will read and concepts we will master! The planner can be found and printed at http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/our-homeschool-planner/


The curriculum I found to go with the Letter of the Week program is from Preschool Palace and can be found at http://www.preschoolpalace.org/Curriculum.html.




Mikayla and Aidan both have a homework caddy full of anything they would need to complete schoolwork. This is a picture of Aidan's.

These are extras for when things run out throughout the year.

No education experience would be complete without the computer. We use the learning site ABC Mouse (www.abcmouse.com) for tons of activities. We use it for learning as well as a treat when our chores have been completed. I have a link from the desktop so the children can access it easily and without my help!
And that's it so far! Once the loft/classroom is complete, I will do a room tour so you can see! If you are interested in using ANY of these items above, check out my Mommy School Pinterest board - all the links are there! http://pinterest.com/tiffanyclyne/mommy-school/

I hope this was helpful! If you are a mommy teacher and have any ideas you would like to share, please do! I would LOOOOVE to hear them. I have no teaching experience other than substituting so everything I'm doing is from research I've done on other homeschoolers. 

Here's to not screwing up my kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment